The Touch 文之触摸

This is where words are bound by soul. 

在心灵的牵动下,文字的袅袅舞姿,尽在其中自我陶醉。散文、诗词、故事,点缀人生的平凡、弥补生活的萧索。


National Geographic News

Monday, April 20, 2009

C'est la vie!

A successful man never conquers alone. You need friends. You need people around you to be at the apex. Alone, the world will come crushing down on your shoulders. With friends, you can climb around it and stand on the world. You can even sing your lungs out, maybe Carpenters' "Top of the World" or ABBA's "The Winner Takes It All".Justify Full
While a friend is someone who is:
faithful,
reassuring,
inspirational,
encouraging,
necessary and
dedicated,

a friend could also be:
fearful,
r
evengeful,
i
nconsiderate,
e
goistic,
n
arcissistic, and
d
elusive.
Alan was very successful with his business which revolved around biochemical synthesis and scientific gadgets and machineries. He had 6 best friends. He was proud of them. He liked mingling around them. He treasured moments with their presence and lamented times of their absence. Doing things without them was like sipping piping hot tomyam soup minus the cili padi a.k.a. the bird's eye chilli - no spice, no thrill. Until the day when they, one after another (fortunately, not altogether doing it at the same time, pity the man if it happens), stop his heart from beating - figuratively speaking, of course. Then, he felt like submerging his head into the simmering tomyam soup.

FRED

"Just asking you to back me up and you just can't do that. What good of you anyway to be my friend?"

"Fred, it is just wrong to cheat in your reports. The science community will know sooner or later. You know that. You must understand, I am helping you."

"Helping my arse! Oh, I know, you are just taking revenge because you lost your girl to me. Is that right? Well, speechless? I knew it all along! You son of a..."

"It's nothing like that. I am mad at you for that, yes, but that's not why..."

"I am not listening to any of your distorted arguments. You make me sick, you know. Now I am off the job and ostracized. Happy?"

"Listen to me..."

"No, YOU listen to me. From now on, you walk your way and I walk mine. Never I want to see your sickening face again in my life."

"Fred..."

Fred didn't turn back. Not even once.

RICHARD

"Hey, buddy, care to spent some time with your best friend?"

"'Course, Richard."

"You see, I am working on a prototype for improved protein fractionation, analysis and characterisation. Word has it that you are currently into this area. Isn't that true?"

"You have the most receptive ears, I reckon. Anyway, yeah. You are not trying to probe into my job, aren't you?"

"Nah, just asking for some professional advices. Our device is more specialized in isolating PGRs, phytohormones, you know, possible jasmonates and stuffs like that. It is specifically programmed for that. I know you are doing enzymo in animal cells. So, no worries. "

"Okay, so what is it you want to know?"

"Oh, there is ......" So, they talked.

2 months later, Richard's team came up with a whole new model which rivals the one that Alan's team was researching. Alan confronted Richard.

"I thought you said you are doing plants. Unless gangliosides, lamin A, lipofuscin and leptin are found in plants. Oh wait, they AREN'T."

"Cool down, man. I just thought of switching project title. No big deal. Sorry if I grabbed your piece but you have so many other potential projects. You are prodigious. No prob in finding new avenues, eh?"

"That's not the point. My team spent so much time and effort and you just came and swept everything off our feet. What the hell are you thinking?"

"Whoa, you said it as if I murder someone."

"Well, nothing less than a robbery, I suppose!"

"Geez, if you are that upset, I say we share the profit I earn. Seven-three? How does that sound?"

"Seven-three? I get the seven while you get the three, now how does THAT sound?" Alan retorted sarcastically.

"Me three? That's like robbing of me!"

"EXACTLY. Now you know how it feels like being robbed, dontcha? It is not about the money. It's about the ethics, the rules of playing the game and most importantly - our friendship. You do realize you are double-crossing me, don't you?"

"I am not using you, oh Lord, I was just asking for opinion and you gave it to me! In your own volition!"

"I told you just because you lied to me."

"As I'd said, we had a change of plan."

"You expect me to believe it?"

"Fine. If you insist on that, then have it your way."

"I can't believe it. You used me and now you pull that stinky face of yours?"

Richard didn't bother to finish the iced tea. Lost of words, Alan only could glare at Richard's silhouette under the dim light. He couldn't touch the apple sherbet. His gut was brimming with anger and disappointment. He needed to cool down. But ice wasn't sufficient. Then somebody called. At first, he was unhappy. Then, he smiled. He had something important. Something so important that he could turn the table around and play it to his advantage. He would lose his friend for this. But that didn't change much seeing that he already lost Richard when he left after the row. Pay back time.


IAN

"Alan, you treacherous thief!" Ian burst into Alan's office.

"Keep your voice down, for god's sake. People are listening."

"Like I give a damn about that! After all you did to me, I would even sing it to the street!"

"What now? What did I do to you?"

"Oh, don't pretend, you piece of shit. BioZen, did that ring a bell?"

"Richard's company."

"Now you remember."

"You lost money?"

"Else why would I be here?!"

"I told you to stop investing on it but you wouldn't listen."

"You said it worth the cash!"

"I said it was but it isn't anymore when Richard's product has technical errors that he couldn't rectify. He lost his customer pool. His company's market value plummeted since." Alan smile inwardly as he said this. He knew there was problems with Richard's product because his own prototype was having some problems as well. The call he received after Richard left that day was from his colleague. His colleague mentioned about some malfunctions of the prototype. That time, he knew what to do.

"You shouldn't have introduce me to this shitty company. Now I am broke." Ian was at the verge of tears.

"Sorry, I..."

"I don't need your bloody sympathy. I will, I swear to god, make your life miserable. I swear!"

Ian stomped out, leaving a disappointed man in his office.


ELAINE

"Hey, Elaine, it has been a long time."

"Alan!" They embraced.

"Let's go for dinner, you are free, right?"

"Let's see, I have to go down to meet my sis. Hmm, my sis could wait. Let's go, Alan."

"At Ferdinand's?"

"Seems like I have nothing on me that you don't know."

When they arrived at Ferdinand's Diner, they dined and chatted. Then, Alan sensed something was wrong after Elaine took a phone call.

"Is everything alright? You look terrible."

"Erm, it's... it's nothing, really. I..." Her eyes were wet.

"You are freaking me out. You can tell me if something's not right. Elaine?"

"It's my fiance. He..."

"Cheated on you?"

"How..." She stared at Alan, her big eyes now swollen.

"Your face kinda tell me everything. If that a-hole doesn't know how to appreciate you, then he doesn't worth your piece of heart. Crying will not do anything to him but it makes you worse."

"Alan..."

"You are my friend, I can't leave you alone when you are not happy."

"Thanks. I think I need to go now. Need some air. Can you drive me to my place?"

"I would do so even you didn't ask."

When they arrived, Elaine gave Alan a peck on his cheek and Alan hugged her tight. Elaine broke of from the embrace and walked towards her front door.

Suddenly, Elaine tripped.

"Are you ok?"

"I guess I sprained my ankle."

"Come, I go up with you."

"Sorry, Alan, for bothering you this much."

"No need for that. Come closer to me so that I could hold you tight."

"Ah..."

"Hurts a lot?"

"Yeah..."

"Come, we do this together and get you on the bed. It is more comfortable for your sore ankle."

"Okay..."

"We do it slowly, if it hurts, tell me to stop."

"Oh..."

"It seems like it's not your first time spraining the ankle, huh?"

She laughed. "How can you tell?"

"The way you walk in your high heels are as if you are uncomfortable. So I venture that you seldom wear them and if you do, you tend to sprain yourself."

"Interesting reasoning. Ouch..."

"We can do this. Come on, only a few more steps. We do this together and we will be fine, okay?" Then, they reached the front door.

"Ah... finally, Alan!"

Panting, Alan nodded.

"Thanks, I am very happy tonight. Thanks for your company. You are wonderful and strong, I am not light, you know."

"You kidding me? Anyway, I am happy too."

"Night."

"You don't want me to help you in?"

"No, thanks. I can manage it. You help me enough."

"Okay then, night."

A few days later, Alan, who's married to Anna, was confronted by her.

"Al, where were you again 3 nights ago?"

"I thought I told you I met my friend and had a drink?"

"What kind of friend exactly?"

"Why are you asking me all these? What's wrong, darling? You are crying."

"Look at this!" She threw a brown envelope onto the desk. Somehow, the envelope looked ominous. Alan took out the photos, examined them with horror.

"I can't believe this. I... She was my friend. My best friend. Elaine, you remember her? I mentioned to you last time."

"I don't care. You two are.... intimate and I never knew it!"

"No, it's not what it appears to be. Listen..." Alan tried to put on his best smile but of no avail.

"THESE PHOTOS ARE RIGHT THERE. CONCRETE AND SOLID! WHAT ELSE YOU COULD DENY?" She bellowed with tears trickling down her red cheeks.

"It's not like that."

"Oh, so you are implying that these photos are made from photoshop or- don't interrupt! - or you have a twin brother that I never knew of? It is not surprising, isn't it? Since you never tell me the whole thing!"

"Ally, please..."

"If the photos are not convincing, then listen to this!"

Ally played a tape that presumably came with the photos.
"...... Come closer to me."
"Ah..."
"Hurts a lot?"
"Yeah..."
"Come, we do this on the bed. It is more comfortable."
"Okay..."
"We do it slowly, if it hurts, tell me to stop."
"Right."
"It seems like it's not your first time, huh?" Elaine's laughter.

PAUSE.

"We come together."
"Ah... Alan!"
Alan's panting.
"Thanks, I am very happy tonight. Thanks for your company. You are wonderful and strong, I am not light, you know.


Alan froze. She taped, cut and stitched up their conversation to MODIFY IT!

"Oh, god..."

"So? Had your tongue tied up by guilt? Can't find any excuses? Is that right?"

"Who sent in this package?"

"Why does it matter? You CHEATED on me."

"Ally, I can explain this. Give me time."

"Give you time? So that you can screw around more?!"

Alan left the house and dialled Elaine's number. It rang on forever. When he was about to hang up, the ringing stopped. He waited with bated breath.

"Alan? I am sorry." The voice from the other end sounded so distant.

"You FRAMED me! WHY?"

"I am so sorry. I had to. I had no choice. I need cash. I owe a lot of money in business. I am sorry."

"Apology can't help much to me, can it? Elaine?"

There was a silent pause.

"Who asked you to do it? "

"Ian."

Her curt, blunt response made Alan stood riveted on the ground. Ian. His words the day he left his office rang in his mind:
I will, I swear to god, make your life miserable. I swear!
"But how can he pay you? I thought the guy is broke."

"He was. But he got lucky somehow and struck the jackpot."

"He asked you to wreck my marriage?"

Silence.

"How much did he pay you?"

"Enough to get me start all over again. Alan, I am so sorry and I know mere apology is of no use. I have to leave now. Goodbye."

"Elaine! Elaine!"

The line went dead. But it would not help either if she stayed on the line. His wife would not forgive him no matter how he explained. Well, who would believe him? No eyewitness. Just him and Elaine. No, wait, plus the mysterious photographer. He bet it must be Ian himself.


NATHAN

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Alan, is me, Nathan!"

"Nathan? Why had you changed your number? I didn't know it was you."

"No time to explain pal. Erm, I just want to say I am sorry. Okay? And just becareful."

"What? Nathan? Nathan?" He hung up.

He had enough apologies. But they couldn't save his marriage last time. Now, he feared something bad was looming over him. Why the sudden apology? Most importantly, what to be careful of?

He had his answers in a couple of days later.

One evening, back from work, he found his patio and mahogany door were tainted with bright, red paint. Something wasn't right. He could make it out at first. Then, a phone call came. An unknown caller.

"Is this Alan Wong Jia Haw?" A muffled voice. Not a good sign.

"Yes."

"Enjoy the red view? You are to clear the debts. I don't have to labour on the details if you fail to comply."

"I am sorry. What debt?"

"The debt Nathan Mok owed!"

"I am not aware of any debts by him. And if he owes you money, why look for me?"

"He fled with one hundred grand. He borrowed from us and he wrote your name as guarantor and you signed it."

"What?! It must be some mistake. I never did anything like that."

"I have the papers and your signature is there. Genuine. I have cross-checked it with your other signatures."

"Cross-checked?"

"I have people working for you in your firm. I know about you. And I also know that you are well-off."

Alan was speechless. He was confused, indignant and betrayed. But he must tend to the matter at hand.

"A hundred grand is a huge sum."

"You have a week." Click.

Alan dialled Nathan's number. Nathan picked up on the tenth ring.

"I thought you will never listen to my calls!"

"So you have met them?" Nathan asked nervously.

"Not face-to-face yet, no. What the hell did you do?"

"I cannot pay them back. I don't have money! You must help me."

"Help you? I am sinking in the mud now, thanks to you!"

"Are you okay?"

"Maybe for now. The next time you heard from me, maybe it will be on the obituary or on the headlines!"

"Don't say that."

"What? Feeling remorseful now? Why did you forge my signature?"

"You are the only person I could think of at that moment. Sorry."

"Sorry won't do any good, will it? I am sick of the word and you people!"

"Help me, Alan, please."

Alan hung up and threw his phone on the couch. What else he could do? If he didn't want to save Derek's ass, he should save his. He didn't have a choice. He hated his friends for betraying him. He hate them for dragging him into the quagmire. He wanted to help them all but instead, they were strangling him.


DEREK

"Hey there, you look like you the whole world owe's you money and losing your your parents at the same time."

"Watch it, buddy."

"Sorry."

"People nowadays love to say sorry like it could save all the troubles, don't they?"

"You look irritable."

"I have a friend who thinks I am not helpful while I am just doing the right thing, and a friend who steals my idea for profit and lies to me at the same time, and a friend who doesn't listen to my advice and when he gets into trouble, he blames it all on me, and friends who needed money and thus would do anything to hurt me and my family."

"Very unfortunate."

"Referring to me for having those so-called friends or to them for having me as their "best" friend?" Alan asked sarcastically.

"Bad time for you, huh?"

"Derek, you are my best pal since primary. Glad to have you as my chum."

"Wow, thanks for the compliment."

"Hey, you still do your writing stuff?"

"Yup, working on a novel. Alan, why don't you spill out all those unfortunate events to me. It is better to get it out than to leave them brewing inside you. Gets too much gas in you when you let them sit in your gut and your will get a loud fart one day."

"Very funny, Derek." So Alan spilled his guts.

Then, months later, Alan found that people on the streets start to stare and point at him. He was bemused. Then, when he walked past the bookstore, he saw it, right at the bestseller's.

"Things You Didn't Know About the Man - Alan Wong.
By Derek Chua C. S."


Derek used his ordeal for his source of income. Without his permission. He didn't bother to ring Derek's phone. He knew he would just listen to more excuses and lies. He was tired of it. He didn't know whom to trust apart from his family. Why friends just can't be just friends?

Maybe he was just overdoing it. It was nothing, right? Derek was just using his own unfortunate encounter to earn for a living. Nothing wrong with it. Oh, nothing wrong with Fred too. He was just trying to get famous by faking the results. Nothing wrong with Richard either. He was also trying to earn more money. Nothing wrong with Ian, Elaine and Nathan too. The only one who was wrong was himself. Yeah, it must be. Alan thought sardonically.

Fred, Richard, Ian, Elaine, Nathan and Derek, their initials spell F-R-I-E-N-D. But are they?

Friends are not supposed to use one another. But that is the point - SUPPOSE. It is not suppose to happen but it COULD. Sometimes, life is not what most of us dream of. If you think things will be good, it could turn out otherwise. It is not pessimism, because -
C'est la vie
!

No comments: